Monday, March 3, 2014

Damon's rescue visit (3/1/14)

Damon here, writing a guest post. April wasn't able to visit the rescue with me, so I took my Mom, who hadn't been in some time. Mom spent time with Charlie Brown, playing Scrabble and loving on him. Charlie enjoyed soaking up the attention as he always does. While Mom was keeping Charlie company, I had to spend a little time with my girl, Malani. Malani, despite her limitations and past health issues, hopped around the pen and investigated every corner. She would snuggle against my arm for a bit before making a few more laps around the pen. The main reason for the visit was so I could take portraits of the yard rabbits. The yard rabbits came to the rescue after a confiscation from a local meat breeder. Prior to the confiscation, they were found in deplorable living conditions - a muddy, fenced-in yard with no vegetation, minimal shelter and little to no food or water. 16 of these poor bunnies were brought to our rescue, and six of them are still in foster care - Vilthuril, Hawkbit, Acorn, Dandelion, Buckthorn and Rigel. These six bunnies were not very cooperative models! Once we got each of them out and ready for photos, they all just wanted to get away and go back "home" to their cages. I did manage to get some good photos of each of them. Hawkbit, Dandelion and Buckthorn seemed to be a little curious about the bright flash of light. Each time I'd snap a picture of one of them, they seemed to look at the light as if to say "Hey, what's this thing?" While each of the yard rabbits were not very playful and just wanted to get back "home," I enjoyed taking their pictures and getting to spend a little time with some different bunnies.
   
Dandelion                                  Hawkbit        

* Interesting Factoid- The "Yard Rabbits" are named after characters from the book, Watership Down.*

No comments:

Post a Comment