Sunday, February 16, 2014

A busy day at the rescue

Today was a busy day at the rescue with lots of volunteers helping the foster bunnies.  From this rabbit educator's perspective, this was a beautiful sight and so many things happened today to brighten these dear rabbits' lives.  We were even lucky enough to have a couple of teenage volunteers who came and made toys for the fosters.  I will post pictures and more details on the "Toy Box" page soon. With several volunteers there today many of the rabbits were able to play and get socialization time.  These bunnies were lucky enough to enjoy the company of caring humans today: Charlie Brown, Malani, the sisters (Esme and Gytha), Dallas, Pepper Potts, Honey Bunny, Gyro, Rumpke, and Owena.  I did fail to get pictures of these socialization sessions because I was either with a rabbit or gathering additional information for the blog.  I promise to take more photographs at future visits.

Today I was able to spend time with a couple of bunnies by myself.  Of course, as soon as I got there I tried to snuggle with Mr. Charlie Brown but he was not feeling it today.  Even after Mary putting him right next to me, he promptly turned an hopped away.  My best guess is that he was upset that I was playing Boggle on my iPad and not Scrabble.  He LOVES to snuggle while people are playing Scrabble and I messed up his routine. I was a bad bunny friend.  Though, I did redeem myself later by attempting to snuggle with him on the couch.  Damon tried to get Charlie to come to him because he was playing Words, but Charlie proudly came to me.  We snuggled about 25 minutes on the couch. He slept peacefully as I carefully rubbed his head.  More information will be posted about Charlie Brown soon as he will be my featured friend this week.
Charlie Brown and I snuggling on the couch. 

I was also able to sit by Gyro's pen and rub her head for quite a while today.  Gyro is a bit of an "odd bird" but we love her for that.  As a baby she would almost always lay upside down like she didn't have an internal gyroscope (hence the name, Gyro). Now, as nearly a "teen" (in bunny years, of course) she still has some silly antics.  Gyro is definitely showing signs of becoming a people bunny but wants NOTHING to do with her siblings.  In the past, she has mildly injured two sisters when they got too close to her pen during playtime.  Though, she gets all of her energy and attitude honestly from her mother, Cleo, as my friend Andrea can attest.  ;) And to be honest... she's always been my favorite of Cleo's babies. Shhh! Please don't tell the others. :)
Miss Gyro 

More pictures from days visit will be added soon. Waiting for my photographer to finish his day job first before he can start on my "to do" list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment